All, the Joe-Zilla 5-Miler is this Saturday morning. It is not too late to register or you can register race day morning beginning at 8 am (Please bring cash/exact change).
Unfortunately there are a few trees down on Trillium Trail (after the split at ~0.75 miles) that will not be cleared by Saturday and SBNP has closed that portion of the trail. Pete Navin mapped out an alternate course for the race (attached). I have also attached the Sandy Bottom Trail Map for reference. The route will be marked to the greatest extent possible but please also review this beforehand:
1. We’ll start at the usual Start/Finish Line next to the big pavilion & Sandy Bottom Lake.
2. Stay on Trillium until the split (~0.75 miles) (approaching 1-mile Marker)
3. Bear LEFT onto Wetlands Trail at the split
4. (1st lap only) Turn RIGHT onto Whispering Pines ~0.15 miles to a turn-around cone and return to Wetlands Trail
5. Turn RIGHT onto Wetlands Trail; bear LEFT at the tower towards Trillium Trail
6. Turn RIGHT onto Trillium Trail and head towards the Ranger Station (~2-mile Marker)
7. Bear RIGHT at the Ranger Station and stay on the trail along Crystal Lake and Fallen Oak Trail, keeping the lake on your immediate right
8. At the Tower (~3-mile Marker), take a RIGHT onto Wetlands Trail and head towards Trillium Trail
9. Turn LEFT onto Trillium Trail and head back towards the split
10. Bear LEFT onto Wetlands Trail at the split (approaching 4-mile Marker); bear left at the Tower and head towards Trillium Trail
11. Turn RIGHT onto Trillium Trail towards Ranger Station
12. Bear LEFT at the Ranger Station and return to the Start/Finish Line
We will make this as close to a 5-miler as we can when we set the course and the turn-around cone (Whispering Pines) on Saturday morning. Trailzilla courses aren’t certified but we want everyone to enjoy the race & distance we advertise…
Our plan is to have a Water Stop near the Tower intersection, so you will pass it at ~1.75 miles, ~3 miles, and ~4.3 miles…
See you all on Saturday morning!